Sunday, January 4, 2009

Movie Review

I've seen a couple of flicks in the last few days; here are my thoughts:

Bedtime Stories: Starring Adam Sandler, Keri Russell, Courtney Cox, and two cardboard kids cast solely on their speech impediments. Perhaps you're thinking that there is no possible way that Adam Sandler could do a family movie- you'd be wrong. Be warned, though, that Adam Sandler can't do a movie without some of his "go to" comedy: silly voices/accents, casting his friends in strange bit roles, and the like. But, all in all, it's a cute movie that kept my five year old daughter AND Bruce and I entertained.

Seven Pounds: Starring Will Smith, Rosario Dawson, Woody Harrelson, and almost inexplicably, a jellyfish. I will do my best not to spoil the movie, since it's dependent on the "BIG TWIST" at the end (which, not to brag, I figured out in the first 20 minutes.). Short Version: Don't waste your money on this overwrought and overthought vehicle for Will Smith's giant ego. Slightly longer version: Don't waste your money on this overwrought and overthought vehicle for Will Smith's giant ego. REALLY!

In order for this movie to really work, you have to have some kind of sympathy for Will Smith's character, which is impossible since the character seems to have some sort of mental illness. Then, you are supposed to believe that Rosario Dawson's character falls in love with him big time, which doesn't even make sense. Then in the "BIG SCENE" where the "BIG TWIST" is supposed to happen, the way it transpires is so ridiculous. My s-i-law Tiffany leaned over during the movie and said, "I bet (this) is going to happen." I said, "If (that) happens, this will officially be the gayest movie ever made." Then (that thing which I won't reveal) DID happen, so the conclusion is clear.

Christy, Tiffany: I am so frustrated with this movie that when I watched the jellyfish scene in Finding Nemo I got mad all over again.

On to another form of media: I reached an epic milestone last Friday: My LAST issue of US Magazine. I need to elevate my life a little, but I can't lie: Fridays seem a little sadder now.

3 comments:

Christy said...

I should have warned you ahead of time that I have a horrible track record for picking good movies. I think some Fresh Prince of Bel Aire re-runs would have been more satisfying.

Jenni said...

Thanks for the reviews!

Tiffany Hatch said...

Maybe you guys will get a Fresh and Easy so you can get free magazines :)