Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Holiday Happenings

We spent Friday night making gingerbread houses and eating BBQ with our friends, the Wolfley's.
Kiki is not a minimalist.

"I still think it's missing something..." she kept saying.

Kate proved herself to be the Martha Stewart of the bunch. Saturday morning was our ward Christmas party. We had a tasty breakfast and then came home to attend to our various holiday projects.

Saturday night the girls slept over at my mom's, and Bruce and I went to Salt Lake with some friends from the neighborhood. We ate a delicious dinner at Bay Leaf (if you ever have a hankering for fried macaroni and cheese, Bay Leaf is the spot for you) and went to see the lights at Temple Square.Steph, Janet, Weston, Mark, Brian, and Connie

Anne, Chris, me, and Bruce.
Across from Temple Square.

I feel a little overwhelmed by all I need to do before Christmas. My shopping is done, but only half wrapped/shipped (We are out of town for the holidays this year). Baking has been completely sidelined, as have neighbor gifts. In Primary we have bulletin boards to switch and manuals to hand out. Meanwhile, I calculated that I spent 35 hours at the piano last week between my lessons, rehearsals, performances, and own practice. I seriously have a little tendon soreness in my thumb so a technique review is in order, but no one can accuse me of hiding my light under a bushel. I've a concert tonight, Kate's birthday tomorrow, Christmas cards to send, Bruce's work party, a family party, and packing, laundry, and cleaning, which gets me to Sunday. Sunday= choir practice, the Christmas Program, Ward Council, Conducting and Sharing Time in Primary, and a Priesthood Preview. And I'm supposed to leave church and depart immediately for our "vacation." I feel like laughing sarcastically on the outside but simultaneously crying tears of frustration and overwhelm on the inside.
Of course, though none of this can stop me from thinking about the real meaning of Christmas like 24/7.
That's sarcasm.

1 comment:

A said...

Oh Sister! I was just telling someone how happy I was to live close to family again, so I don't have to travel for the holidays. All the prep it takes to get ready for the holidays is enough to cry--throw a dog, two kids and 10+ days of travel in the mix and you are do for a good sob. Hang in there! Remember, Wal-Mart is your friend if you forget anything, need a gift or a perscription. :)