Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Celebration and Vacation

Kate was waiting up for me when I arrived home from gym early Monday morning. She was so excited to open her birthday presents.

Yay!! It's a Hannah Montana doll, guitar, and microphone.

I hate the damn microphone.

If I don't respond quickly enough to a request for a snack or a channel change, Kate assumes I just didn't HEAR her, and turns on the microphone and restates her request at an amplified volume.


Blowing out the candles on her Hannah Montana cake.
We are so happy we got to celebrate with family and friends- thanks for giving Kate a special day. She is so excited to be FIVE. She has reminded me several times that she is a grown up girl now. She also counted her money in preparation for our Sea World Vacation and informed me, "Mommy, don't worry if you aren't rich, because I am rich!"

December has felt like a series of hurdles. I seem to have been constantly planning, preparing, or executing some event or another, but last night was my last "thing" before our vacation. (In case you are a reader of this blog with a sinister purpose, our home will be watched by a sharpshooter in our absence, and I'm not kidding.) I am so looking forward to spending time with Bruce and the girls- we are going to San Diego for a few days before heading over to Phoenix for Christmas with the Hatch's. I just have to gear myself up to two days of laundry, packing, and errands. I can't wait to fire up the truck and hear the back door slam behind me on my way out of here.


6 comments:

A said...

Congrats on making it through your check lists. I feel the same. Last night was the first night I didn't have to do a darn thing--all thanks to the crazy weather in Chicago. It was heavenly! Hope your vacation adventures are the same.

p.s. May be I'll get my dad a Hannah Montana microphone for Christmas. I'm sure M would appreciate it. ;)

Unknown said...

Sounds like she had a great day. I am SO happy no one follows me with a microphone, I'm pretty sure I would come unglued. When I have children in 10 years, pass the word along that I won't accept any toys with noise. That's right, I'm the sounding toy nazi.

Christy said...

A microphone? Becca, I'm surprised. That's such a rookie mom mistake. Happens to the best of us, though. Tell Kate not to worry about packing it for the trip, we have microphones in Phoenix already.

Arlie's Corner said...

Happy birthday to Kate. I can't believe she is 5. Enjoy your vacation and just realize that vacations with kids aren't like those vacations you used to have just for the two of you! However, memories can never be erased and always worth it!

Jenni said...

Good luck preparing for the vacation - I hate vacation prep. Very stressful!! I hope that the trip goes well. It sounds fun!

Brooke said...

I have had such a great time catching up on your blog! I've been out of the loop here lately.

Happy birthday to Kate. She really is so grown up.

Have a great time on your trip!!!!!!!!!! And merry Christmas, friend!