Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Remember...



I can't believe it has been seven years. Like everyone, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing. Bruce and I sat in front of the TV almost all day long, united with the nation in shock, disbelief, and desperation. Two days later, Bruce proposed, and like the rest of the U.S., we began to slowly move on while never forgetting.

To my own children, that terrible day will be a chapter in a history book, as far removed to them as the JFK assassination or the Vietnam War is to me. I sincerely hope that particular chapter ends with a description of the execution of Osama Bin Laden, but that remains to be seen.

My Kate has taught me something this week. Lately I have really noticed how enthusiastic she is about her life. She loves her gymnastics class, and wears her leotard without a trace of self-consciousness and tries her hardest to "do the moves." Her preschool teacher asked if Kate could bring apples from our tree for the class to make pies with. It was rainy, and when I was picking the apples I have to admit that I was a little cranky, but to then see how thrilled she was to be the kid who was bringing the apples made me realize my damp hair was totally worth it. Her little face was so happy when she handed her teacher the bag of still wet apples. The smallest things can make her happy- High School Musical socks, toast made with homemade bread, her friends, the list could go on for miles and that's just this week. As I drove away from the pre-school, I said to God, "Please, please, let her keep her eagerness about life for as long as possible." Then in the very next breath, I said, "And don't ever let it be me that takes it from her."

I can be cynical (and I have done the Punnett Squares and it looks like Kiki is actually the more likely candidate of my two daughters to be the next Dennis Miller), but I hope I teach my girls that the world is basically a decent place if we are decent in it. There is so much craziness in the world, as the tragic anniversary of today reminds me. Let my baby girls be protected for their whole lives.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

You can see how much I appreciated this post by looking at my blog. Thanks, Bec.

Jenni said...

Beautiful....

Wynn Family said...

You are a wonderful mother Becca and the girls learn so much from you! I am so glad I get to benefit from your wisdom and my kids get a Mommy Becca. I hope the chapter ends that way too, but if not, I am consoled with the fact that Osama will have to answer to God and a punishment will be handed out, justice!!!

Arlie's Corner said...

I get so teary when I think about that day, but especially when I read about your desire to be a great Mom. You are and your kids will be blessed their whole lives. Thanks, Becca!

A said...

it was strange being in switzerland on 9/11. i made sure to watch the BBC to take a moment and think about that fateful day. i also engaged my travel mates in conversations about where they were, what they learned and what have they taken away from that experience. your post makes me want to be a better person. while i may not be a mom, there's lots i can do to be a better citizen of the world. thanks for remembering.